One of the biggest lessons I learnt in 2020 is this:
“Not every place that you fit in, you belong.”
It is exactly what I failed to realise after all these years of my life. I’ve always felt something missing like I seem to always fit in, yet somehow, deep within me, I felt like I didn’t.
I am everywhere and nowhere all at once.
I am a girl, but not really.
I am not a boy, but not really.
I am Chinese, but not really.
I am “Others” in race, but not really.
I like to party, but not really.
I like to work at night bazaars, but not really.
What I truly learnt about fitting in is,
- that it’s okay to not fit in, it’s okay to not belong.
- That I’m working towards finding the place that I truly belong and that it might take a long while. As long as, eventually, I get there one day.
- you just need to fit in with yourself
- when you’re alone, you don’t have to worry about fitting in, about whether or not you belong, you just do
- when you’re alone, you don’t have to feel pressurised to feel like you have to fit in.
- no matter what happens, you will always belong at home.
- don’t settle for wherever you think you fit in, but don’t actually belong.
- fitting in isn’t important, knowing yourself is.
- don’t lose yourself, just to fit in.
In conclusion, it’s okay to stick out like a sore thumb. 🙂